The IES seeks to improve the lighted environment by bringing together those with lighting knowledge and by translating that knowledge into actions that benefit the public.
The IES will build upon a century of excellence to create the premier lighting community dedicated to promoting the art and science of quality lighting to its members, allied professional organizations, and the public.
Established in 1906, the IES is the recognized technical and educational authority on illumination. For over one hundred years its objective has been to communicate information on all aspects of good lighting practice to its members, to the lighting community, and to consumers through a variety of programs, publications, and services. The strength of the IES is its diversified membership: engineers, architects, designers, educators, students, contractors, distributors, utility personnel, manufacturers, and scientists, all contributing to the mission of the Society: to improve the lighted environment by bringing together those with lighting knowledge and by translating that knowledge into actions that benefit the public.
The IES is a forum for the exchange of ideas and information and a vehicle for its members’ professional development and recognition. Through its technical committees, with hundreds of qualified members from the lighting and user communities, the IES correlates research, investigations, and discussions to guide lighting experts and laypersons via research-and consensus based lighting recommendations.
Section Officers 2022-2023
- President: Carrie Cavins, ETC
- Vice President: Brent Plumer, Cooper Lighting Solutions
- Treasurer: Mark Beebe, Wylie Consulting Engineers
- Secretary: Carrie Cavins, ETC
- Past President: Jared Gunlock, KBR
The Board of Managers is elected to a one-year term in accordance with Section by-laws and IES standards. Elections are held in the spring of each year. If you are interested in joining the board, please Contact Us.
- Board of Managers:
- Roscoe Graham, LEDVANCE
- Fernando Hertado, Dialight
- Alfonso Hernandez, Gensler
Committee Chairs 2022-2023
- Education Co-Chair: Carrie Cavins
- Education Co-Chair: Brent Plumer
- Golf Tournament Chair: Carrie Cavins
- Membership Chair: Mark Beebe
- Programming Chair: Alfonso Hernandez
- Jared Gunlock (2019-2021)
- Carrie Cavins (2017-2019)
- Mark Beebe (2015-2017)
- Melanie Dubendorff (2013-2015)
- John Baker (2012-2013)
- Tim Goodman (2011-2012)
- Stan Rathjen (2010-2011)
- Aaron McDonald (2009-2010)
- Linda Cummings (1999-2000)
- Dan Sterling (1997-1999)
- Kimberly Billon (1996-1997)
- Steve Ying (1995-1996)
- Mark R. French (1994-1995)